Saturday, January 8, 2011

An Epiphany Fast

It's now the third day of the season of Epiphany, and I'm "celebrating" in an odd fashion.
I've gone on a cleansing, detoxing fast - juices, fruits, some vegetables, herbal teas and yikes! NO COFFEE! I have discarded all meats (I love steak!) and dairy products, bread & pasta and anything that has sugar (even my Sunday indulgence of Ghirardelli brownies), so A King's Day feast is quickly becoming a faded memory.
I am in the process of overcoming prostate cancer, and I have been sifting, praying and plodding through tons of info on treatments, side effects, diet changes and cancer treatment centers. I've consulted Internist, Urologist, Oncologists and Dietitians; been anointed and prayed over by my Bishop, congregation (twice), fellow pastors, wife and a colleague's children.
It has been an odd journey with people constantly asking, "How are you feeling?" When the fact is I feel great. I had a PSA blood test in a routine physical; it came back high; had a biopsy.
I received a call from the doctor, "You have cancer, early stage, slow growing; we'll meet and go over your options."
Just like that, with no symptoms, the world changed; mortality slapping me once again.
I had long been delivered of the immortality of youth - skin cancer at 27 will do that to you, but that had been a mere nuisance. This was different.
This was "manhood" cancer, and the options, in the natural were alarming. Do nothing - die. Surgery - impotence & incontinence. Radiation - long term complications.
So I'm working on a holistic approach that includes three things.
  1. Pray God's promises over my life and surround myself with people of faith, who when they pray, they expect God to heal.
  2. Do everything I can to cleanse my natural body, while doing everything to cleanse my mind & soul.
  3. Continue to seek medical advice (praying for Christian doctors with faith) and prayerfully choose the course of treatment that I believe the Lord says is best for me.
Yesterday I was greatly encouraged, when a urologists in Charleston said, "Mark, you have something going for you that many don't - prayer & faith. If I were you, this is what I'd do...."

I think I've found the physician that the Great Physician would have me consult.
Let the cleansing & healing continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment